News:

Love God, serve God: everything is in that. —St. Clare of Assisi

Main Menu

Orthodox Thomists?

Started by ptlopes, May 17, 2022, 03:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ptlopes

Good evening,

What do you guys think of Alasdair Macintyre and Josef Pieper? Are they orthodox Thomists? Are all their books written from the perspective of orthodox Thomism?

Thanks and God bless!
Pedro

Geremia

What do you mean by "orthodox Thomism"? What Ed Feser calls "neo-Scholastic Thomism"? See: "The Thomistic Tradition (part 1)" & part 2.

ptlopes

Thank you for your answer, Geremia!

By Orthodox Thomist I mean someone faithful and true to Thomas Aquinas' doctrine. For example, there are kantian and cartesian elements foreign to Aquinas in some "Thomists". Those wouldn't be "orthodox"...

Geremia

Quote from: ptlopes on May 18, 2022, 02:47:23 PMthere are kantian
the so-called Transcendental Thomists
Quote from: ptlopes on May 18, 2022, 02:47:23 PMand cartesian elements foreign to Aquinas in some "Thomists".
Which "flavor" of Thomism is Cartesian?

Aristotelian / River Forest Thomism is anti-platonic; Thesis #2 of the 8 River Forest Thomism theses:
QuoteAquinas ought to be interpreted as a convinced Aristotelian who vigorously opposes every tendency to Platonize in epistemology, and admits Platonic elements into this thought from the Church Fathers only in so far as he can validate them in accordance with Aristotelian epistemology.

ptlopes

Perhaps some Transcendental Thomists have a certain cartesian flavour. But I don't think there is specific cartesian brand of Thomism.

I would say that Garrigou-Lagrange was an Orthodox Thomist...

Geremia

Quote from: ptlopes on May 17, 2022, 03:15:10 PMWhat do you guys think of Alasdair Macintyre and Josef Pieper?
I'm not too familiar with MacIntyre, but I have read some Pieper. He's good, but more of a popularizer of Thomism.

ptlopes

Thank you! I have the idea that Pieper has a good reputation within Thomism.