News:

Holy Communion is the shortest and safest way to Heaven. —Pope St. Pius X

Main Menu

St. Catherine of Siena's vow of virginity

Started by Geremia, May 03, 2019, 10:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geremia

After she, at age 6, was given an infused knowledge of the Desert Fathers, which inspired her with the desire to be a hermit, and of St. Dominic and the Dominicans; at the age of 7, she prayed thus (Legenda maior I cap. 3):
QuoteO most blessed and holy Virgin, who were the first amongst all women to consecrate your Virginity for ever to the Lord, who then graciously made you the Mother of His only Son, I pray to you that out of your ineffable goodness, ignoring my deserts and all my insufficiencies, you will deign to grant me this great grace—to give me as Husband Him whom I desire with all the power of my soul, your most holy Son, our one Lord Jesus Christ; and I promise Him and you that I will never choose myself any other husband, and will always do all I can to keep my virginity unspotted.
Acta Sanctorum p. 917:
Quotebeatissima ac sacratissima Virgo, quæ prima inter mulieres Domino virginitatem perpetuo devovens consecrasti, a quo gratiose facta es mater unigeniti Filii ejus; tuam ineffabilem pietatem exoro, ut meis meritis non attentis, nec exiguitate mea considerata, digneris mihi tantam gratiam facere, quod in sponsum mihi des illum, quem totis animæ meæ visceribus concupisco, super sacratissimum filium tuum, unicum Dominum nostrum Jesum Christum : et ego promitto ei et tibi, quod numquam alium sponsum admittam, virginitatemque meam juxta meum modulum servaro ei perpetuo illibatam.
happy octave of St. Catherine (April 30 - May 7)

Also: Bl. Raymond of Capua, Legenda maior, III.1.334.937C-D:
Summus autem Pontifex [Gregorius XI] ea visa gavisus est, voluitque coram Cardinalibus, qui tunc aderant, quod verbum faceret exhortationis, potissime propter schisma, quod tunc incipiebat. The Supreme Pontiff [Gregory XI] was clearly delighted to see her again and asked her to say a few words of encouragement to the Cardinals, especially with regard to the Schism, which had then just begun.
Quod et perfecte fecit, animando unumquemque eorum ad fortem constantiam verbis et sententiis plurimis, ac ostendendo divinam providentiam semper adesse cuilibet, sed potissime cum sancta Ecclesia patitur: et concludendo, quod propter inchoatum schisma in nullo trepidare deberent, sed agere quæ Dei sunt, et nullum timere.[She] urged them with many arguments, which she expressed most felicitously, to be strong in constancy. She showed that divine providence is always with us, above all when the Church has to suffer, and ended by telling them not to be afraid of the schism that had just begun and to do the things of God and to fear no one.
[dixit Pontifex:] hæc muliercula nos confundit. Mulierculam autem voco, non in contemptum ejus sed in expressionem sexus feminei, naturaliter fragilis, et ad nostram instructionem.[The Pope said:] A mere woman puts us to shame. I call her a 'mere woman', not out of disrespect, but with reference to her sex, which in itself is weak, and also for our own instruction.

Geremia

Happy feast of this great patroness of traditionalists!

Geremia

PDF/DjVu pp. 176-84 of his Love of God and the Cross of Jesus (vol. 1) quotes from St. Catherine's Dialogo (Dialogues):

I piei confitti ti sono scalone acciò che tu possa giognere al costato, il quale ti manifesta il segreto del cuore. Però che, salito in su' piei de l'affetto, l'anima comincia a gustare l'affetto del cuore [...]

Wherefore these pierced feet are steps by which thou canst arrive at his side, which manifests to thee the secret of his heart, because the soul, rising on the steps of her affection, commences to taste the love of his heart.

Ma molti sono che pigliano il loro cominciare e salire sì lentamente, e tanto per spizzicone rendono il debito loro a me, e con tanta negligenzia e ignoranzia, che [...] perché imperfettamente ànno salito e preso il primo scalone di Cristo crocifisso, e però non giongono al secondo del cuore.

But there are many who begin their course climbing so slowly, and render their debt to me by such small degrees, and with such negligence and ignorance, that [...] because they imperfectly climb to the first step of the Bridge of Christ crucified, they do not arrive at the second step of his heart.

Questi cotali allora allentano, voltandosi con impazienzia di mente. Alcuna volta lassano per molti modi i loro esercizi, e spesse volte sotto colore di virtù dicendo in loro medesimi «questa operazione non ti vale», sentendosi privati della propria consolazione della mente.

These weak ones of whom I speak relax their energy, impatiently turning backwards, and sometimes abandon, under color of virtue, many of their exercises, saying to themselves, "This labor does not profit me." All this they do because they feel themselves deprived of mental consolation.

In molti inconvenienti cade l'anima che à salita questa scala solo col timore servile e con l'amore mercennaio. Debbansi adunque levare ed essere figliuoli e servire a me senza rispetto di loro [...] mentre che stanno nel mercennaio amore Io non manifesto me medesimo a loro; ma essi, con dispiacimento della loro imperfezione e amore delle virtù, con odio dibarbicando la radice dell'amore proprio spirituale di se medesimo, [...] giogneranno all'amore dell'amico, e così manifestarò me medesimo a loro sì come disse la mia Verità quando disse: «Chi m'amerà sarà una cosa con meco e Io con lui, e manifesterolli me medesimo e faremo mansione insieme». (Jn 14,21) Questa è la condizione del carissimo amico: che sono due corpi e una anima per affetto d'amore, perché l'amore si transforma nella cosa amata. Se egli è fatto una anima, niuna cosa gli può essere secreta, e però disse la mia Verità: «Io verrò e faremo mansione insieme», e così è la verità.

The soul who has climbed this step with servile fear and mercenary love alone, falls into many troubles. Such souls should arise and become sons, and serve me, irrespective of themselves. [...] While they remain in the state of mercenary love I do not manifest myself to them. If they, through displeasure at their imperfection, and love of virtue, dig up, with hatred, the root of spiritual self-love [...] they will be so pleasing to me that they will attain to the love of the friend. And I will manifest myself to them, as my Truth said in these words: "He who loves me shall be one thing with me and I with him, and I will manifest myself to him and we will dwell together." This is the state of two dear friends, for though they are two in body, yet they are one in soul through the affection of love, because love transforms the lover into the object loved, and where two friends have one soul, there can be no secret between them, wherefore my Truth said: "I will come and we will dwell together," and this is the truth.

Dove cognobbe questa dignità di vedersi unita e impastata nel sangue dell'Agnello, ricevendo il santo battesmo in virtù del sangue? Nel costato, dove cognobbe il fuoco della divina carità. [...] perché [...] l'operazione attuale di sostenere pene e tormenti era finita; e per la cosa finita non poteva mostrare tanto amore quanto più amavo, perché l'amore mio era infinito. E però volsi che vedeste il secreto del cuore, mostrandovelo aperto, acciò che vedeste che più amavo che mostrare non vi potevo per la pena finita. (Let 189)

Where did the soul know of this her dignity, in being kneaded and united with the blood of the Lamb, receiving the grace in holy baptism, in virtue of the blood? In the side, where she knew the fire of divine charity. [...] Because [...] I had finished the actual work of bearing pain and torment, and yet I had not been able to show, by finite things, because my love was infinite, how much more love I had, I wished thee to see the secret of the heart, showing it to thee open, so that thou mightest see how much more I loved than I could show thee by finite pain.

Gionti sono costoro alla bocca, e però el dimostrano facendo l'offizio della bocca. § 23 La bocca parla [...] [e] gusta. [...] Or così l'anima: prima parla a me con la lingua che sta nella bocca del santo desiderio suo, ciò è la lingua della santa e continua orazione. [...] offerendo a me dolci e amorosi desideri in salute dell'anime, e attuale parla annunziando la dottrina della mia Verità, amonendo consigliando e confessando [...] prendendo il cibo dell'anime per onore di me in su la mensa della santissima croce [...] Schiaccia ogni ingiuria: scherni, villanie, strazi e rimproverii con molte persecuzioni, [...] per salute dell'anime. [...] E poi che l'à schiacciato, el gusto il gusta, assaporando il frutto della fadiga e'l diletto del cibo dell'anime, gustandolo nel fuoco della carità mia e del prossimo suo. [...]

Such as arrive at the mouth show it by taking the office of the mouth. The mouth speaks [...] and tastes. [...] The soul does likewise. First she speaks to me with the tongue of holy and continual prayer [...] offering to me sweet and amorous desires for the salvation of souls, and actually announcing the doctrine of my Truth, admonishing, counselling, confessing [...] taking the food of souls, for my honor, on the table of the cross [...] swallowing, for the sake of the salvation of souls, insults, villainies, reproofs and persecutions. [...] She then tastes the relish of the fruit of toil and the delight of the food of souls, on fire with my love and that of her neighbor. [...]

Or questo fa l'anima che in verità è gionta al terzo scalone della bocca. Il segno che ella vi sia gionta è questo: che ella à morta la propria volontà quando gustò l'affetto della mia carità, e però trovò pace e quiete nell'anima sua nella bocca. Sai che nella bocca si dà la pace. Così in questo terzo stato l'anima truova la pace per sì fatto modo, che niuno è che la possa turbare, perché à perduta e annegata la sua volontà, la quale volontà quando è morta dà pace e quiete.

The death of the sensitive will, after the soul has eaten of the affection of my charity, is the sign by which it is known, in truth, that the soul has arrived at the third step, that is the mouth. And in the mouth she finds peace and quiet, and nothing can disturb her peace and quiet, because her sensual will is dead.

Questi parturiscono le virtù senza pena sopra del prossimo loro. Non che le pene non sieno in sé pene, ma non sono pena alla volontà morta, però che voluntariamente sostiene pena per lo nome mio.

They who have arrived at this step, bring forth the virtues upon their neighbor without pain, not because pain is no longer painful to them, but because, their sensitive will being dead, they voluntarily bear pain for my sake.

Questi corrono senza negligenzia per la dottrina di Cristo crocifisso, e non allentano l'andare per ingiuria che lo' sia fatta, né per alcuna persecuzione, né per diletto che trovassero, ciò è diletto che il mondo lo' volesse dare. Ma tutte queste cose trapassano con vera fortezza e perseveranzia, vestito l'affetto loro dell'affetto della mia carità, gustando il cibo della salute de l'anime con vera e perfetta pazienzia. La quale pazienzia è uno segno dimostrativo che mostra che l'anima ama perfettamente e senza alcuno rispetto, però che se ella amasse me e 'l prossimo per propria utilità, sarebbe impaziente e allenterebbe nell'andare.

They run without negligence, by the doctrine of Christ crucified, and slacken not their pace on account of persecutions, injuries or pleasures of the world. They pass by all these things with fortitude and perseverance, their affection clothed in the affection of charity, and eating the food of souls with true and perfect patience, which patience is a sign that the soul is in perfect love, loving without any consideration of self. For did she love me and her neighbor for her own profit, she would, in impatience, slacken her steps,

Ma perché essi amano me per me, in quanto Io so' somma bontà degno d'essere amato, e loro amano per me e il prossimo per me, per rendere gloria e loda al nome mio, però sono pazienti e forti (67r) a sostenere, e perseveranti.but loving me, who am the Supreme Being and worthy to be loved, she loves herself and her neighbor through me alone, caring only for the glory and praise of my name, which causes her to be patient and strong to suffer, and persevering.

Questi seguitano lo immaculato Agnello, (Ap 14,4) unigenito mio Figliuolo, il quale stando in croce era beato e doloroso: doloroso era portando la croce del corpo sostenendo pena, e la croce del desiderio per satisfare la colpa dell'umana generazione; e beato era perché la natura divina unita con la natura umana non poteva sostenere pena, e sempre faceva l'anima sua beata mostrandosi a lei senza velame. E però era beato e doloroso, perché la carne sosteneva, e la deità pena non poteva patire; né anco l'anima quanto alla parte di sopra de l'intelletto.

Such as these follow the Immaculate Lamb, my only-begotten Son, who was both blessed and sorrowful on the cross. He was sorrowful in that he bore the cross of the body, suffering pain and the cross of desire, in order to satisfy for the guilt of the human race, and he was blessed because the divine nature, though united with the human, could suffer no pain, but always kept his soul in a state of blessedness, being revealed without a veil to her, so that he was both blessed and sorrowful, for, while the flesh endured, neither the Deity nor the superior part of the soul, which is above the intellect, could suffer.

Così questi diletti figliuoli, giunti al terzo e al quarto stato, sono dolorosi portando la croce attuale e mentale, cioè attualmente sostenendo pene nei corpi loro secondo che Io permetto, e la croce del desiderio, cioè il crociato dolore dell'offesa mia e danno del prossimo. Dico che sono beati, però che'l diletto della carità, la quale gli fa beati, non lo' può essere tolto [...]

So these, my sons of delight, who have arrived at the third and fourth states, are sorrowful, for they carry both a physical and a mental cross—that is to say, they bear pain in their bodies according to my permission, and in their mind the cross of desire, for they are tortured by sorrow at the offence done to me, and the loss of their neighbor. Yet I say to thee that they are blessed, because the delight of charity which makes them so, cannot be taken away from them [...]

levatesi l'anime con ansietato desiderio, corse con virtù per lo ponte della dottrina di Cristo crocifisso, giongono alla porta levando la mente loro in me: passate e inebriate di sangue, arse di fuoco d'amore, gustano in me la deità eterna, el quale è a loro uno mare pacifico dove l'anima à fatta tanta unione, che veruno movimento quella mente non à, altro che in me.

Souls, arising with anxious desire, run, with virtue, by the Bridge of the doctrine of Christ crucified, and arrive at the gate, lifting up their minds in me, and in the blood, and burning with the fire of love they taste in me, the eternal Deity, who am to them a sea pacific, with whom the soul has made so great a union, that she has no movement except in me.