News:

He who labors as he prays lifts his heart to God with his hands. —St. Benedict of Nursia

Main Menu

Forum internet access

Started by Kephapaulos, February 15, 2017, 10:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kephapaulos

Is it harder to access the forum on a smartphone with a 4G network normally? Or do I need to change the phone settings?

Geremia

Quote from: Kephapaulos on February 15, 2017, 10:37:20 PMIs it harder to access the forum on a smartphone with a 4G network normally? Or do I need to change the phone settings?
Are you encountering any problems accessing it? Is it slower?

Geremia

I've enabled compression of text documents the server serves. This should improve transfer times considerably, especially on mobile devices. Let me know if it's faster now.

Kephapaulos

I was thinking of asking why the forum would not load with the mobile data. Indeed it is faster. Thanks!

Kephapaulos

Why does forum have issues again loading for me on my phone when I use mobile data away from home?

Geremia

Quote from: Kephapaulos on July 23, 2017, 12:21:05 AMWhy does forum have issues again loading for me on my phone when I use mobile data away from home?
Probably because my ISP changed the IP address again recently. The DNS servers can only propagate the changes of IP addresses so fast. Perhaps I could look into purchasing a static IP address.

Update: I checked with my ISP, and even their "static" IP addresses for business accounts change, but not as frequently, whenever the subnet addresses change, so it doesn't seem worth an additional ~$45+ per month.
Currently, the site should never be down longer than about a half hour (the TTL or "time to live" of the DNS record). I could decrease the TTL to 1 min. (the shortest), but then those who access this site would have to query DNS servers every 1 min., which would slow the site down.