News:

"Omnis enim res quæ dando non deficit, dum habetur et non datur, nondum habetur quomodo habenda est." ("For a possession which is not diminished by being shared with others, if it is possessed and not shared, is not yet possessed as it ought to be possessed.") —St. Augustine, De doctrina Christiana lib. 1 cap. 1

Main Menu

Pope St. Pius X condemns the mainstream media.

Started by Geremia, March 22, 2020, 09:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geremia

American Catholic Quarterly Review (vol. 32) p. 665:
QuoteJean Limosin (a pseudonym) relates in the Croix de Limoges a recent audience accorded him by Pius X. "The importance of the religious press," said the Pope, "is not even yet understood either by faithful or clergy. The elders say 'formerly' souls were saved without newspaper and press work. But 'former' times are not our times. We live to-day, when an evil press is widely diffused, when Christians are deceived, poisoned, destroyed by impious journals. In vain would you build churches, preach missions, found schools; all your efforts, all your good works would be defeated should you not simultaneously wield the defensive and offensive arm of the press, Catholic, loyal, sincere." Says the interviewer: "The Pope became animated; he shrugged his shoulders compassionately, his eyes flashed and I called to mind what he did when Patriarch of Venice to maintain his journal Difesa, of which he said: 'If other resources fail I would sell my pectoral cross rather than let this necessary work succumb.' Speaking of the actual situation, the Holy Father said: "The French clergy must prepare for enduring worse things. The persecution is only beginning. Doubtless it will become more violent. Priests will have to suffer absolute misery. But I place confidence in them; I know they are brave. In the seminaries they received sound doctrine and a truly supernatural formation of character. Let them be united, helping each other, sharing available resources.'"
J. F. Boyd.
10 Last Easter Pius X. sent this autograph, printed in a special edition of the Naples Croce: "In face of unrestrained license of the anti-Catholic press, which impugns or denies eternal laws of truth and justice, which stirs up hatred against the Church, which insinuates into people's hearts most pernicious doctrines, corrupting minds, fostering evil appetites, flattering the senses and perverting the will—all ought to recognize the great importance of union between good people for turning to advantage of the Church and society a weapon the enemy uses to injure both. We have, therefore, only the highest praise for Catholic writers who strive to oppose the antidote of the good press to the poison of the bad press, and, that they may not lose courage amid the labors, trials and difficulties inseparable from all good works, we bestow upon all of them our blessing, that the Lord may support them in the good fight and pour out upon them abundant heavenly assistance."
What he says here equally applies to today's vile mainstream media (MSM).