News:

Ignorance of scripture is ignorance of Christ. —St. Jerome

Main Menu

Scripture word changes?

Started by PerEvangelicaDicta, July 01, 2016, 08:50:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PerEvangelicaDicta

Without much exploration of the issue, I've chalked up the preponderance of (mostly protestant) internet chatter regarding Scripture word changes to frequent revisions, whether novus ordo or King James versions, or memory fault.  (Although many are reporting that their very old versions of Scripture somehow suddenly have these changes)

This morning I looked up 2 supposed changes in online VRBO.   See bolded words:

Matthew 9:17
Neither do they put new wine into old bottles. Otherwise the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish. But new wine they put into new bottles: and both are preserved.

3 Kings (1 Kings) 16:11
And when he was king and sat upon his throne, he slew all the house of Baasa, and he left not one thereof to piss against a wall, and all his kinsfolks and friends.

Has this wording always been the Vulgate translation?

Geremia

Quote from: PerEvangelicaDicta on July 01, 2016, 08:50:19 AMMatthew 9:17
Neither do they put new wine into old bottles. Otherwise the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish. But new wine they put into new bottles: and both are preserved.

3 Kings (1 Kings) 16:11
And when he was king and sat upon his throne, he slew all the house of Baasa, and he left not one thereof to piss against a wall, and all his kinsfolks and friends.
The Original (non-Challoner) Douay-Rheims and Clementine Vulgate say, for those verses:
QuoteNeither do they put new wine in old bottles. Otherwise the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish. But new wine they put into new bottles: and both are preserved together.

Neque mittunt vinum novum in utres veteres : alioquin rumpuntur utres, et vinum effunditur, et utres pereunt. Sed vinum novum in utres novos mittunt : et ambo conservantur.
and
QuoteAnd when he reigned, and sat upon his throne, he struck all the house of Baasa, and he left not of it one that could piss against a wall, & his kinsfolk and friends.

Cumque regnasset, et sedisset super solium ejus, percussit omnem domum Baasa, et non dereliquit ex ea mingentem ad parietem : et propinquos et amicos ejus.

PerEvangelicaDicta

Thank you Geremia.
I was not as familiar with the Kings reference, but I could have sworn that the Matthew quote used "wineskins" vs bottles, yet even my old hard copy says bottle. 

Our collective Scripture mis-remembrances are meme-like.  (which is preferable to the current "Mandela effect" theory).