News:

Holy Communion is the shortest and safest way to Heaven. —Pope St. Pius X

Main Menu

Fr. Aidan Nicholas, O.P.

Started by Kephapaulos, October 09, 2017, 01:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kephapaulos

What do you think about him? He is associated with the Radical Orthodoxy movement, but I saw that he wrote about works of Balthasar.

Does he have any sound contributions to theology and philosophy?

Who are some other good living theologians and philosophers? Particularly Dominicans and Jesuits?

Kephapaulos

I've heard of Radaelli and the late Msgr. Gherardini too. There was another one you've brought up maybe, Geremia. Perhaps, it was Ralph Mcinerny? Or maybe someone else?

Geremia

Quote from: Kephapaulos on October 09, 2017, 01:23:48 PMWhat do you think about him? He is associated with the Radical Orthodoxy movement, but I saw that he wrote about works of Balthasar.
He's not traditional; cf. his The Council in Question: A Dialogue with Catholic Traditionalism (which has a foreword by Adam & Eve denying Cdl. Pell!). This should give a flavor of his views:
Quote from: Aiden NicholsTo limit the Catholic Church to those ways of presenting Tradition typical of a Scholastically-oriented Latin Catholicism in the middle decades of the twentieth century cannot be right. This was Archbishop Lefebvre's mistake.

His biography of Fr. G.-L., Reason with Piety, is okay, but he clearly doesn't have a deep understanding of Fr. G.-L. if he goes on admiring and writing about Modernist theologians.

Quote from: Kephapaulos on October 09, 2017, 01:23:48 PMDoes he have any sound contributions to theology and philosophy?
Not that I know of
Quote from: Kephapaulos on October 09, 2017, 01:23:48 PMWho are some other good living theologians and philosophers? Particularly Dominicans and Jesuits?
Fr. Hardon is the only good Jesuit I can think of.
The Avrillé Dominicans are very scholarly; look at the contributors to their review Sel de la Terre (although they seem somewhat pseudonymous, using their nondescript religious names...).

in Christo, per Mariam,
Geremia

Geremia

Quote from: Kephapaulos on October 09, 2017, 01:24:46 PMI've heard of Radaelli and the late Msgr. Gherardini too. There was another one you've brought up maybe, Geremia. Perhaps, it was Ralph Mcinerny? Or maybe someone else?
Although not strictly traditional, Thomas Crean, O.P. (he's criticized Dignitatis Humanæ, written a short bio. on Fr. G.-L.), Brian Mullady, O.P. (translated St. Thomas's commentary on Job), and Augustine Thompson, O.P. (promoter of the Dominican Rite), are a few living ones I can think of. You can search for the Dominicans in the e-book library, too, and order their works by publication date.
Marie-Dominique Philippe, O.P., taught SSPX seminarians in the early days of the SSPX. He passed away in 2006.

Kephapaulos

Quote from: Geremia on October 09, 2017, 02:02:42 PM
Quote from: Kephapaulos on October 09, 2017, 01:23:48 PMWhat do you think about him? He is associated with the Radical Orthodoxy movement, but I saw that he wrote about works of Balthasar.
He's not traditional; cf. his The Council in Question: A Dialogue with Catholic Traditionalism (which has a foreword by Adam & Eve denying Cdl. Pell!). This should give a flavor of his views:
QuoteTo limit the Catholic Church to those ways of presenting Tradition typical of a Scholastically-oriented Latin Catholicism in the middle decades of the twentieth century cannot be right. This was Archbishop Lefebvre's mistake.

I looked in the forum library for any books by him before, and I was saddened to see that he takes the side for Vatican II.

Quote from: GeremiaHis biography of Fr. G.-L., Reason with Piety, is okay, but he clearly doesn't have a deep understanding of Fr. G.-L. if he goes on admiring and writing about Modernist theologians.

*sigh* It makes sense when modern Catholic writers fall short in understanding the full scope of things.

Quote from: Geremia
Quote from: Kephapaulos on October 09, 2017, 01:23:48 PMDoes he have any sound contributions to theology and philosophy?
Not that I know of

Well, if not then, it's not too early for him to start. ;D

Quote from: Geremia
Quote from: Kephapaulos on October 09, 2017, 01:23:48 PMWho are some other good living theologians and philosophers? Particularly Dominicans and Jesuits?
Fr. Hardon is the only good Jesuit I can think of.

There are limitations with him from what I understand too. I was reading the Wikipedia article on him some time back.

Quote from: GeremiaThe Avrillé Dominicans are very scholarly; look at the contributors to their review Sel de la Terre (although they seem somewhat pseudonymous, using their nondescript religious names...).

in Christo, per Mariam,
Geremia

If you had said on Cathinfo that the Resistance is schismatic, wouldn't that put them in the same category since they are allied with the Resistance? So they have Si Si No No then as well?

I actually contacted them some time back about joining them, but I was turned down because of my school debt.

Kephapaulos

Quote from: Geremia on October 09, 2017, 02:14:22 PM
Quote from: Kephapaulos on October 09, 2017, 01:24:46 PMI've heard of Radaelli and the late Msgr. Gherardini too. There was another one you've brought up maybe, Geremia. Perhaps, it was Ralph Mcinerny? Or maybe someone else?
Although not strictly traditional, Thomas Crean, O.P. (he's criticized Dignitatis Humanæ, written a short bio. on Fr. G.-L.), Brian Mullady, O.P. (translated St. Thomas's commentary on Job), and Augustine Thompson, O.P. (promoter of the Dominican Rite), are a few living ones I can think of. You can search for the Dominicans in the e-book library, too, and order their works by publication date.
Marie-Dominique Philippe, O.P., taught SSPX seminarians in the early days of the SSPX. He passed away in 2006.

I read that article about DH by Fr. Crean, O.P. I found that it still fell short though in trying to split hairs too much with that disastrous Vatican II document.

Geremia

Quote from: Kephapaulos on October 09, 2017, 08:34:20 PMIf you had said on Cathinfo that the Resistance is schismatic
I didn't affirm they are. I simply asked how they are not.
Quote from: Kephapaulos on October 09, 2017, 08:34:20 PMI actually contacted them some time back about joining them
You heard of the Fraternité Saint-Vincent Ferrier?

Kephapaulos

Quote from: Geremia on October 09, 2017, 09:12:37 PM
Quote from: Kephapaulos on October 09, 2017, 08:34:20 PMIf you had said on Cathinfo that the Resistance is schismatic
I didn't affirm they are. I simply asked how they are not.
Quote from: Kephapaulos on October 09, 2017, 08:34:20 PMI actually contacted them some time back about joining them
You heard of the Fraternité Saint-Vincent Ferrier?

I thought you simply made the statement that "the Resistance is schismatic." I guess I misread it?

Such a statement though would get someone banned from there I think.

I have heard of the FSVF. I contacted them too. They said the same thing I think more or less or wanted some form filled out. As a matter of fact, I contacted Avrille, then the FSVF, later the western Province, the eastern, and finally the SSPX about the Steffeshausen.

Geremia

Quote from: Kephapaulos on October 10, 2017, 02:03:23 PMI contacted Avrille, then the FSVF, later the western Province, the eastern, and finally the SSPX about the Steffeshausen.
Definitely contact Fr. Albert because I'm sure he'd like to know that there's interest in North American traditional Dominicans.

Kephapaulos

Geremia