News:

Ignorance of scripture is ignorance of Christ. —St. Jerome

Main Menu

The Beatific Vision

Started by Kephapaulos, July 23, 2017, 12:57:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kephapaulos

Which writing of St. Thomas explains the nature of the Beatific Vision before the end of the time?

I could only find what was said in the Supplement to the Summa Theologiae concerning the consummation of the world.

I gathered an explanation from Fr. Ripperger that heaven is a state simply at first and then will be a place at the end of time. I remember someone from EWTN saying it is a state and not a place. 

Geremia

Quote from: Kephapaulos on July 23, 2017, 12:57:28 AMI gathered an explanation from Fr. Ripperger that heaven is a state simply at first and then will be a place at the end of time. I remember someone from EWTN saying it is a state and not a place.
Although it has not been defined where heaven is, it is certainly a place. Otherwise, how could those already in heaven with body and soul (e.g., Jesus with His humanity and the Blessed Virgin, who was assumed body and soul into heaven), which require spatial dimensions, exist? To deny heaven is a place would imply the denial of the Ascension and Assumption!

cf. Pope Benedict XII's Benedictus Deus:
Quoteall these souls [destined to heaven], immediately (mox) after death and, in the case of those in need of purification, after the purification mentioned above, since the ascension of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ into heaven, already before they take up their bodies again and before the general judgment, have been, are and will be with Christ in heaven, in the heavenly kingdom and paradise, joined to the company of the holy angels.
Thus, the souls of the deceased are not in a "state" but in (the place of) heaven.

Kephapaulos

Which theological manual would explain it well too? I thought St. Thomas wrote a treatise on heaven, but I think the title has more to do with cosmology.

Geremia

Quote from: Kephapaulos on July 23, 2017, 05:04:52 PMWhich theological manual would explain it well too? I thought St. Thomas wrote a treatise on heaven, but I think the title has more to do with cosmology.
God called him to his eternal reward before he could complete the Summa's tertia pars. He probably would've written a treatise de novissimis (on the last things).
There are some treatises de novissimis in the e-book library. Look for de paradiso in them.

Geremia

Quote from: Kephapaulos on July 23, 2017, 05:04:52 PMtheological manual would explain it well too? I thought St. Thomas wrote a treatise on heaven, but I think the title has more to do with cosmology.
For the debate among medieval physicists and theologians regarding the place of heaven, see "Part II: Place" of:

Kephapaulos

I downloaded the book. I imagine it might shed some light on the whole spherical vs. flat earth controversy.

Geremia

Quote from: Kephapaulos on August 06, 2017, 02:52:34 PMI downloaded the book. I imagine it might shed some light on the whole spherical vs. flat earth controversy.
Nowhere is the notion of a flat earth discussed in that book, but it might help with the whole geocentrism+geostaticism vs. heliocentrism+geokineticism debate.