News:

"we needed none of these having for our comfort the holy Books, that are in our hands." —Maccabees 12:9

Main Menu

The Franciscan School of Theology

Started by Kephapaulos, June 13, 2017, 11:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kephapaulos

Where does the Franciscan school fit in the scheme of things? Or other schools for that matter? Would any of them each be deficient in some way since they do not all necessarily adhere to Thomism? Do some also reject Scholasticism too?

I was reading about the life of St. Anthony of Padua and learned that he laid the foundation for the Franciscan school. I gathered that it is based on the Platonic-Augustinian tradition.

Geremia

Quote from: Kephapaulos on June 13, 2017, 11:45:31 PMWhere does the Franciscan school fit in the scheme of things? Or other schools for that matter?
Scotus and Ockham are probably the best representatives of the Franciscan school.
Quote from: Kephapaulos on June 13, 2017, 11:45:31 PMWould any of them each be deficient in some way since they do not all necessarily adhere to Thomism?
No, far from it. Scotus differs from St. Thomas on several very fundamental points that I mentioned here and here.
Quote from: Kephapaulos on June 13, 2017, 11:45:31 PMDo some also reject Scholasticism too?
Certainly the Modernist ones
Quote from: Kephapaulos on June 13, 2017, 11:45:31 PMI was reading about the life of St. Anthony of Padua and learned that he laid the foundation for the Franciscan school. I gathered that it is based on the Platonic-Augustinian tradition.
St. Thomas could certainly be considered Augustinian, too, as St. Augustine was his most influential Catholic theologian. Even St. Gregory of Nyssa, who is considered Neo-Platonic, has many points aligned with Thomism; see the comments section of St. Gregory's Homilies on the Song of Songs in the e-book library, where I put my conversation with my friend regarding St. Gregory's excellent exegesis and quote the 18th Thomistic thesis. Thomism, while avoiding falling into the trap of eclecticism, has a very powerful assimilative capacity; cf. Article 2 of ch. 54 of Fr. Garrigou-Lagrange's Reality: A Synthesis of Thomistic Thought.

Kephapaulos

Where do the other schools fit in relation to Thomism though? Or is it that as long as that they are based in scholasticism with St. Thomas being officially favored that any of them is alright to follow?

Theology based on phenomenology and existentialism would have to be trashed, which is what modernism.

Geremia

Quote from: Kephapaulos on June 19, 2017, 12:24:19 PMWhere do the other schools fit in relation to Thomism though? Or is it that as long as that they are based in scholasticism with St. Thomas being officially favored that any of them is alright to follow?
Popes have said that you can't go wrong if you adopt St. Thomas's principles and method. Lumbreras, O.P.'s article says: "St. Thomas' philosophy is not simply the chief one within the official Scholasticism, but it is the only one." He backs this assertion up with quotes from Pope St. Pius X.

As far as I know, no one has written a complete book on the history of Thomism; it would be a massive undertaking for sure. Torrell, O.P.'s Aquinas's Summa: Background, Structure, and Reception does discuss the history of the more famous Thomistic commentators.