News:

Those whose hearts are pure are temples of the Holy Spirit. —St. Lucy

Main Menu

Recent posts

Catholic Resources / Re: Writings of the saints and...
Last post by Geremia - March 20, 2024, 10:57:05 AM
Thank you.
Quote from: kerrysky on March 20, 2024, 06:00:31 AMThe Incorruptibles by Joan Carroll Cruz
is in the e-book library already.
Last post by kerrysky - March 20, 2024, 06:00:31 AM
Quote from: Geremia on March 04, 2024, 04:37:32 PMThank you. This one is not already in the e-book library:
Quote from: kerrysky on March 02, 2024, 11:41:14 PMSt Padre Pio - Timeline, Words, Facts
https://disk.yandex.com/i/UE-8cti-UeKr9g
Who is the author?
The Author is Giuseppe Caccioppoli who also wrote Extensive Padre Pio Website on https://caccioppoli.com/ :)

I just uploaded some of my favorite books on archive.org under the name kerrysky, you might take a look and download the books here:
https://archive.org/details/@kerrysky

Some of the Featured Books
No Greater Love by Mother Teresa
https://archive.org/details/no-greater-love-mother-teresa

Pray, Hope, and Don't Worry - True Stories of Padre Pio by Diane Allen
https://archive.org/details/pray-hope-and-dont-worry-true-stories-of-padre-pio-1

The Incorruptibles by Joan Carroll Cruz
https://archive.org/details/the-incorruptibles-cruz-joan-carroll-5859-1

Miracles of the Church Collection - With Photos
https://archive.org/details/miracles-of-the-church-collection-with-photos

I hope you like them ;D

You can also do a search on archive.org for books of a particular saint such as St Augustine of Hippo and they will come up, I get most of my books from there.

General Discussion / Happy feast of St. Joseph! 🥳 🎉
Last post by Geremia - March 19, 2024, 02:40:08 PM
Pope St. Pius X (Giuseppe Sarto)'s prayer to San Giuseppe (Oct. 1906, ASS 40 (1906) 59, Raccolta #439):
Quote from: Pope St. Pius XO Ioseph, virgo Pater Iesu, purissime Sponse Virginis Mariæ, quotidie deprecare pro nobis ipsum Iesum Filium Dei, ut, armis suæ gratiæ muniti, legitime certantes in vita, ab eodem coronemur in morte.
Quote from: Pope St. Pius XO Joseph, virgin-father of Jesus, most pure Spouse of the Virgin Mary, pray every day for us to the same Jesus, the Son of God, that we, being defended by the power of His grace and striving dutifully in life, may be crowned by Him at the hour of death.
Forum-Related / IPFS links added
Last post by Geremia - March 11, 2024, 02:26:39 PM
The various archives are now on the Interplentary File System (IPFS). See the "IPFS" links in the banner above.
Forum-Related / IPFS links added
Last post by Geremia - March 11, 2024, 02:26:23 PM
The various archives are now on the Interplentary File System (IPFS). See the "IPFS" links in the banner above.
Theology / St. Thomas Aquinas assistant
Last post by Geremia - March 07, 2024, 05:25:26 AM
Inspired by the Thomas Aquinas Emulator (based on the proprietary ChatGPT Plus), introducing its open-source analogue, the
powered by HuggingChat and the Mixtral-8x7B Large Language Model (LLM), a pretrained generative Sparse Mixture of Experts.

Example:
Quote from: Mixtral-8x7BArticle: I. Whether a Pope Can Fall into Heresy?

Objection 1: It seems that a Pope cannot fall into heresy. For the Church is compared to the body of Christ (1 Corinthians 12:12), and it is written that "the gates of hell shall not prevail against it" (Matthew 16:18). Now, a heretical pope would seem to be a part of the Church who holds something contrary to faith; therefore he would not be able to resist the power of hell.

Objection 2: Further, every heretic departs from the unity of the Church. But a Pope, as the Vicar of Christ on earth, is the bond of unity among men (Ephesians 4:13): consequently, he cannot himself be a schismatic or a heretic.

On the contrary, Augustine says (De Haeresibus lxiii, qu. xxxiv): "If he who is placed over others becomes a heretic, he ceases to be their pastor."

I answer that, As stated above (Q[75], A[1]), heresy consists in obstinately holding a doctrine condemned by the Church. Now, it belongs to the essential duty of the Pope to hold the deposit of faith delivered to him by tradition and handed down through the Fathers (cf. Catechism of the Catholic Church, 890). If, however, a Pope were to fall into heresy, he would no longer possess that faith which he is bound to profess and hand on to others. Therefore, if such a case arises, the faithful have the duty, according to the words of Saint Robert Bellarmine (De Romano Pontifice, III, cap. ii, n. 10), to "reject as erroneous and heretical any dogmatic statement made by the Roman Pontiff which is known to contradict the defined doctrines of our faith."

Reply to Objection 1: This objection considers only the external aspect of the Church militant, whereas the internal aspect must also be taken into account. In this regard, we read in Ecclesiastes 4:14 that "for want of a shepherd, the people was scattered abroad," meaning that when the head of the community fails, its members may be led astray. Thus, although the Church as a whole remains invincible, individual members, including Popes, can fall away from the faith.

Reply to Objection 2: While it is true that the Pope is the visible bond of unity within the Church, his personal union with the Church does not prevent him from falling into error. However, if he should commit such an offense, the Church's spiritual authority, represented by the College of Bishops and other faithful, would remain intact to correct him and restore unity.

Sources:
St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica, Supplement: Quaestiones Disputatae de Veritate, Question 22, Articles 1-3.
Augustine of Hippo, De Haeresibus, Book LXIII, Question XXXIV.
Catechism of the Catholic Church, Section Two - The Life in Christ, Chapter One - Man's Response to God, Article 890.

Happy feast of the Angelic Doctor today, whose angelic intellect no machine could ever mimic, but who gave us solid principles upon which to build!
Last post by kerrysky - March 02, 2024, 11:41:14 PM
Book of the day (Sunday, 3rd of March 2024)

St Padre Pio - Timeline, Words, Facts
https://disk.yandex.com/i/UE-8cti-UeKr9g

Source: https://freecatholicebooks.wordpress.com/
Dogma & Doctrine / According to sedeprivationism,...
Last post by Geremia - February 29, 2024, 01:21:26 PM
According to sedeprivationism, does a material pope have temporal authority?

Update: John of St. Thomas (CURSUS THEOLOGICUS In Summa Thelologicam D. Thomas, Tomus VII, IN SECUNDAM SECUNDÆ DIVI THOMÆ, Quæstio I, DE FIDE, DE AUCTORITATE SUMMI PONTIFICIS, Parisiis Ludovixus Vivês, Editor, 1886, p. 207, sq.) seems to think a heretical pope can exercise (albeit illegitimately/tyrannically) temporal power:
Quote from: John of St. Thomas[The Church] may defend itself, not by deposing him [a heretical pope], but by repelling him with force if he proceeds with violence or tyrannically, if, for example, he wished to do something against justice by the force of arms, one could repulse him with arms ; and similarly, if he were to establish something against good morals he is not to be obeyed, because an unjust law does not oblige.
Theology / Re: «Amoris Lætitia» cites St....
Last post by Geremia - February 26, 2024, 11:39:35 AM
Quote from: Geremia on April 07, 2018, 08:26:49 PM
  • Quote from: ch. 8It is reductive simply to consider whether or not an individual's actions correspond to a general law or rule, because that is not enough to discern and ensure full fidelity to God in the concrete life of a human being. [St. Thomas says that conscience is the act of applying abstract principles (e.g., "Thou shalt not commit adultery") to concrete situations in one's life (cf. Summa Theologica I q. 79 a. 13 c.). Thus, Francis says conscience "is reductive;" it's something we need to move beyond!] I earnestly ask that we always recall a teaching of Saint Thomas Aquinas and learn to incorporate it in our pastoral discernment: "Although there is necessity in the general principles, the more we descend to matters of detail, the more frequently we encounter defects... In matters of action, truth or practical rectitude is not the same for all, as to matters of detail, but only as to the general principles; and where there is the same rectitude in matters of detail, it is not equally known to all... The principle will be found to fail, according as we descend further into detail".* It is true that general rules set forth a good which can never be disregarded or neglected, but in their formulation they cannot provide absolutely for all particular situations. [So, God has called us to do the impossible by giving us the "general rules" of the Ten Commandments (natural law)‽ God does not "suffer us to be tempted above that which we are able" (1 Cor. 10:13), as the Council of Trent reiterated in its Doctrine on the Sacrament of Matrimony.] At the same time, it must be said that, precisely for that reason, what is part of a practical discernment in particular circumstances cannot be elevated to the level of a rule. That would not only lead to an intolerable casuistry, but would endanger the very values which must be preserved with special care.**

*Summa Theologiae, I-II, q. 94, art. 4. ["Whether the natural law is the same in all men?"]
    **In another text, referring to the general knowledge of the rule and the particular knowledge of practical discernment, Saint Thomas states that "if only one of the two is present, it is preferable that it be the knowledge of the particular reality, which is closer to the act": Sententia libri Ethicorum, VI, 6 ["Wisdom, the Principle Intellectual Virtue," ¶1194] (ed. Leonina, t. XLVII, 354.)
For an excellent refutation of Amoris Lætitia's specious argument here—that the speculative intellect must agree with the practical intellect (prudence) for there to be moral certitude (or, conversely, that their disagreement implies God's laws have exceptions)—see: Fr. Garrigou-Lagrange, O.P., The Order of Things: The Realism of the Principle of Finality ch. 6 "Moral Realism: Finality and the Formation Of Conscience".