News:

Love God, serve God: everything is in that. —St. Clare of Assisi

Main Menu

Grace, reason, etc.

Started by Kephapaulos, October 24, 2020, 02:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kephapaulos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM8rcXRT-Rw

Reason and Theology host Michael Lofton just posted an interview with and lecture of Dr. Matthew Minerd, a professor of the Byzantine Catholic Seminary of Saints Cyril and Methodius who is a trained Thomist. I caught some of the video last night and found concern between 1:20:45 and 1:23:15 in the video about grace, reason, Fr. Garrigou-Lagrange, and Jacques Maritain.

Can we really trust anything that was written by Jacques Maritain, considering he was connected to Saul Alinsky and influenced Paul VI? Also, he influenced Vatican II with his idea of the secular state only obliged to follow the natural law.

Dr. Minerd says that sanctifying grace sustained the intellect and will from underneath and that Maritain said that reason was damaged by the fall and needs actual grace to move it. Dr. Minerd basically said in light of that that presupposition of proper reason is needed for a person with the virtue of faith in order to explain to someone in the state of sin to bring them to believe in and come to have the virtue of faith, yet the presupposition is usually not present in our modern world, if I understood him correctly.

Geremia

Quote from: Kephapaulos on October 24, 2020, 02:37:23 PMDr. Matthew Minerd, a professor of the Byzantine Catholic Seminary of Saints Cyril and Methodius who is a trained Thomist.
Yes, I know who he is; I corresponded with him a bit. He's translating Fr. G.-L.'s De revelatione! and translated his Le Sens du Mystère et le Clair-Obscur Intellectuel: Nature et Surnaturel.

Quote from: Kephapaulos on October 24, 2020, 02:37:23 PMCan we really trust anything that was written by Jacques Maritain, considering he was connected to Saul Alinsky and influenced Paul VI?
Fr. G.-L. said Maritain should have stuck to epistemology.
Maritain has a perverted understanding of "common good": see Charles de Koninck's The Primacy of the Common Good against the Personalists and The Principle of the New Order, which argue against Maritain's "integral humanism" idea that the "human dignity" is a greater good.
Maritain is discussed in ch. 12 of Integralism, too.
If you know French: Correspondance avec le R.P. Garrigou-Lagrange a propos de Lamennais et Maritain

Geremia

Quote from: Geremia on October 24, 2020, 08:15:37 PMHe's translating Fr. G.-L.'s De revelatione!
Minerd's translation is complete: On Divine Revelation (vol. 1) & vol. 2.

Kephapaulos