News:

[In this life,] to love God is something greater than to know Him. —St. Thomas Aquinas

Main Menu

Why is Garrigou-Lagrange the Greatest Thomist Theologian of the 20th c.?

Started by Kephapaulos, September 06, 2021, 09:12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kephapaulos

An excellent talk on Fr. Garrigou-Lagrange with Dr. Matthew Minerd on The Meaning of Catholic with Timothy Flanders!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYTmztoL-Oc

I think Fr. Garrigou-Lagrange is the greatest theologian of the twentieth century simply put.

Geremia

Quote from: Kephapaulos on September 06, 2021, 09:12:04 PMAn excellent talk on Fr. Garrigou-Lagrange with Dr. Matthew Minerd on The Meaning of Catholic with Timothy Flanders!
I'll have to watch this new episode (Sept. 3, 2021!). I saw a previous episode on Dr. Minerd's translation The Order of Things (2020).

Wow, Fr. G.-L. reviewed a dozen or so books per year‽ cf. his bibliography

Dr. Minerd mentions the Australian Thomist Austin Woodbury having Fr. G.-L.'s same teaching style; cf. the second article of Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange, O.P.: Teacher of Thomism, "My personal memories of Fr. Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange, O.P. (1877-1964)."

I like Dr. Minerd's discussion of Fr. G.-L.'s students. He mentioned Emanuel Diranza(sp?) as the greatest 20th cen. American theologian. I'd never heard of him. I'd consider Msgr. Clifford Fenton up there.

Strider3000

FYI Dr. Minerd has a Patreon account. He does actively respond to PMs - he was actually so gracious as to send me a book that I couldn't find on abebooks/ebay/archive completely gratis. I strongly recommend supporting him if you like his content.

Geremia

Quote from: Strider3000 on September 14, 2021, 02:19:46 PMDoronzo.
Never heard of him, though I see ITOPL has some of his works: The Science of Sacred Theology for Teachers & Theologia Dogmatica
O.M.I. = Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate
∃ any biographical info on him?

Strider3000

Quote from: Geremia on September 15, 2021, 11:52:47 AM
Quote from: Strider3000 on September 14, 2021, 02:19:46 PMDoronzo.
Never heard of him, though I see ITOPL has some of his works: The Science of Sacred Theology for Teachers & Theologia Dogmatica
O.M.I. = Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate
∃ any biographical info on him?

I don't. I purchased the ITOPL in part to read his works after I heard Michael Lofton referencing him with respect to the sources of revelation and types of tradition. Apparently he also discussed V2 in his theological manual.

Dr. Minerd referenced him as part of the implicit faith debate: https://www.philosophicalcatholic.com/blog/2021/4/16/random-sources-on-implicit-faith

When I skimmed through his works in the ITOPL I had the pleasure to discover 80+ pages of commentary on BOD/BOB. Now I'm trying to learning ecclesiastical Latin so I can read it lol

(plz don't ban me for mentioning bob/bod I'm not an adherent of the grimm bros)

Geremia

Quote from: Strider3000 on September 15, 2021, 07:45:56 PMhe also discussed V2 in his theological manual
Doing a search for occurrences of "Vatican II":
The Science of Sacred Theology for Teachers bk.
  • 4, The Church    136×    (Fr. Cekada thought Vatican II's primary revolution was in ecclesiology, redefining what the Church is, creating a new church/religion.)
  • 3, The Channels of Revelation    19×
  • 2, Revelation    6×
  • 1, Introduction to Theology    1×
"Vaticanum II":
Theologia Dogmatica vol.
  • 1, De Revel., De Locis Theol., De Deo Uno    15×
  • 2, De Deo Trino, De Deo Creante et Elevante, De Gratia    2×

Quote from: Strider3000 on September 15, 2021, 07:45:56 PMI'm trying to learning ecclesiastical Latin so I can read it
Fr. Most's Latin by the Natural Method books are the best.

Quote from: Strider3000 on September 15, 2021, 07:45:56 PMthe grimm bros
🤣