News:

"contemplari et contemplata aliis tradere" ("to contemplate and pass on the contemplated things to others") —Dominican motto; cf. S.T. III q. 40 a. 1 ad 2

Main Menu

Confused by The First Way

Started by Aristotle, June 17, 2022, 06:37:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geremia

In my Duhem feed, I discovered this recent article (which cites his "Note on the Validity of the Principles of Inertia and Conservation of Energy, reproduced in God: His Existence and His Nature vol. 2 by Réginald Garrigou-Lagrange, O.P.):
The end of Kerr's article addresses an argument contra Feser regarding "existential inertia".

Aristotle

Quote from: Geremia on June 29, 2022, 09:26:40 PMGaven Kerr, "A Deeper Look at Aquinas's First Way," Nova et Vetera 20, no. 2 (2022): 461–84.
Hmm... very interesting. I'll have to give it a read. Is it a defense of the first way?
Quote from: Geremia on June 29, 2022, 09:26:40 PMThe end of Kerr's article addresses an argument contra Feser regarding "existential inertia".
I'm afraid any argument for "existential inertia" is bound to fail. I would certainly know given that I've attempted to defend it for a while. In any case, is this article a defense of the first way or is it rather an addressing of Feser's Aristotelian argument? If it's the latter than I highly doubt I'd find any disagreement with it, given that I am very fond of that argument - though it is most certainly not the First Way, I would argue. If it's the former though, would you kindly give a summary of the defense? I'd be eager to see what can be made of the first way.

Geremia