News:

He who labors as he prays lifts his heart to God with his hands. —St. Benedict of Nursia

Main Menu

Confused by The First Way

Started by Aristotle, June 17, 2022, 06:37:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geremia

In my Duhem feed, I discovered this recent article (which cites his "Note on the Validity of the Principles of Inertia and Conservation of Energy, reproduced in God: His Existence and His Nature vol. 2 by Réginald Garrigou-Lagrange, O.P.):
The end of Kerr's article addresses an argument contra Feser regarding "existential inertia".

Aristotle

Quote from: Geremia on June 29, 2022, 09:26:40 PMGaven Kerr, "A Deeper Look at Aquinas's First Way," Nova et Vetera 20, no. 2 (2022): 461–84.
Hmm... very interesting. I'll have to give it a read. Is it a defense of the first way?
Quote from: Geremia on June 29, 2022, 09:26:40 PMThe end of Kerr's article addresses an argument contra Feser regarding "existential inertia".
I'm afraid any argument for "existential inertia" is bound to fail. I would certainly know given that I've attempted to defend it for a while. In any case, is this article a defense of the first way or is it rather an addressing of Feser's Aristotelian argument? If it's the latter than I highly doubt I'd find any disagreement with it, given that I am very fond of that argument - though it is most certainly not the First Way, I would argue. If it's the former though, would you kindly give a summary of the defense? I'd be eager to see what can be made of the first way.

Geremia