December 11, 2019, 01:52:27 AM

News:

At the end of our life, we shall all be judged by charity. --St. John of the Cross

Does God antecedently will that everyone be celibate?

Started by Thom, November 22, 2019, 03:14:01 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Thom

It would seem that He does. For St. Paul says: "I wish that all men were as I am." (1 Cor 7:7) with respect to celibacy. Therefore it would seem that God consequently wills some to marry because e.g. they would not be able to carry the burden of celibacy, but prior to any consideration of particular circumstances of a man, it would be better for him to be celibate for achieving salvation. This would seemingly imply that there is no positive vocation for marriage but that it is only the negative in the sense that one should take the path of marriage if he is not able to carry the burden of celibacy. Do you think this is the correct way to view marriage?

Geremia

November 22, 2019, 04:11:48 PM #1 Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 05:04:42 PM by Geremia
No, God doesn't will that everyone not marry.

Quote from: 1 Cor. 7:7For I would that all men were even as myself [celibate]. But every one hath his proper gift from God: one after this manner, and another after that.
Quote from: Mt. 19:10He that can [potest] take [celibacy], let him take it.
He doesn't say everyone must take it. Celibacy is a counsel, not a precept.

Also, His creation of Eve would be contrary to His will if He wills everyone not marry.

Go Up