News:

Love God, serve God: everything is in that. —St. Clare of Assisi

Main Menu

Recent posts

Anti-Modernism / Re: U.S.'s Judeo-Masonic, Fren...
Last post by Geremia - September 27, 2023, 05:25:46 PM
Quote from: Paul_D on September 27, 2023, 03:48:00 PMI think some one else did in a post concerning this, defending Fr. Hunter's viewpoint.
Who is this "some one [sic] else"?
Last post by Paul_D - September 27, 2023, 03:48:00 PM
My mistake, I think some one else did in a post concerning this, defending Fr. Hunter's viewpoint.
Last post by Geremia - September 26, 2023, 10:02:51 PM
Quote from: Paul_D on September 25, 2023, 07:51:25 PMFr. Hunter is still defending the Founding Fathers as using Catholic principles, even using Robert O'Reilly's America on Trial (Ignatius Press, 2020) as proof.
Where does Fr. Hunter cite Robert O'Reilly?
(He does cite Alfred O'Rahilly.)
Last post by Paul_D - September 25, 2023, 07:51:25 PM
I saw even now that Fr. Hunter is still defending the Founding Fathers as using Catholic principles, even using Robert O'Reilly's America on Trial (Ignatius Press, 2020) as proof. Michael Hanby refutes O'Reilly in this case: https://newpolity.com/blog/the-birth-of-liberal-order
Last post by Geremia - September 25, 2023, 05:26:10 PM
Quote from: Paul_D on September 25, 2023, 07:26:22 AMChristopher Ferrara's 600 page book, Liberty: The God that Failed
I'd never heard of that work by Ferrara before. Thanks!

Grant's CFN article "St. Robert Bellarmine: Herald of Republics? — Part II" mentions:
Quote from: fn. 9Phrases such as, "Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness," or "Life, liberty, or estate," "more disposed to suffer than right themselves," are all found in Locke's Second Treatise.
Last post by Paul_D - September 25, 2023, 07:26:22 AM
I think Christopher Ferrara's 600 page book, Liberty: The God that Failed, actually refutes Fr. Hunter, since he actually goes into the history of the US after its founding, and shows that debts, taxes, etc. went up astronomically higher than anything George III did. Ryan Grant reviewed the book here: https://distributistreview.com/archive/liberty-god-that-failed and https://distributistreview.com/archive/review-liberty-god-that-failed-part-ii
Dogma & Doctrine / St. Robert contra religious li...
Last post by Geremia - September 24, 2023, 09:28:26 PM
De Laicis (On Laymen or Secular People) p. 81 (PDF p. 134, EPUB ref:46.1):
QuoteThe second error is made by those who go to the other extreme [from statesmen judging religion] and teach that kings must take care of their commonwealth and the public peace, but not religion. They teach that everybody should be allowed to believe and live as they wish, provided that they do not disturb the public peace. The pagans once found themselves in this error, for they approved every religion and admitted every philosophical sect, [...]

Philosophy / Re: Declaration of Independenc...
Last post by Geremia - September 23, 2023, 10:34:18 AM
The Strange Spirit of Solange Hertz is a good counterpoise to this thread.
So is Timothy Gordon's Catholic Republic.
Anti-Modernism / contra Solange Hertz
Last post by Geremia - September 22, 2023, 08:16:25 PM
The best argument I've seen against the tendency of the above assertions is The Strange Spirit of Solange Hertz.
So is Timothy Gordon's Catholic Republic.
Anti-Modernism / Re: Take that naturalism!
Last post by Kephapaulos - September 19, 2023, 07:00:24 PM
I have not read, but it seems like a good read.